CurseoftheBibliophile

Curse of the Bibliophile

The Giver

The Giver - Lois Lowry “The Giver” is a profound read that has captured the hearts of many since its first release in 1993. Unfortunately for “The Giver” it has also been one of the most controversial and banned books throughout the years. “The Giver” has been banned by many schools and other institutions because of some of its themes such as euthanasia, infanticide, suicide, and also some of the violent and sexual passages that many thought were inappropriate for young minds. I disagree with the banning of this book because it is one of the more inspiring intellectual reads out there. I believe that many, young people especially, could learn and benefit from the themes that are taught in this book.Lois Lowry uses the premise of a utopian society to introduce to its readers the lifestyle and cultural differences that could be faced, while still having a subtle undercurrent of deception. This Let the reader know that something was seriously wrong in this seemingly wonderful lifestyle. I really loved learning about this secretive world and discovering along with Jonas that not everything is as it seems and that some rules were meant to be broken. “The Giver” by Lois Lowry is a though provoking and delightful read for readers of all ages and personalities.