CurseoftheBibliophile

Curse of the Bibliophile

The Subtle Knife - Philip Pullman Capturing your attention from the first page “The subtle Knife” is destined to become a classic. The second installment in Philip Pullman's trilogy "His Dark Materials" does not disappoint introducing new characters and showing growth in older ones. This book has some really strong characters and the detailed descriptions help to capture the very essence of the character’s otherworldly destinations. Lyra soon finds out that if she is to accomplish her goal and save her friend she must grow up fast and learn to trust others. Though this character has certainly undergone some changes because of her experiences she is still the same sneaky, clever, and mischievous girl we remember from “The Golden Compass”. A new character that plays a big role in this trilogy is Will. From an entirely different world than Lyra that is more similar to our own Will knows nothing of the mysterious substance known as “dust” nor does he care. Unfortunately he is inadvertently thrown in the middle of this war after happening upon one of the holes in his universe and comes upon Lyra. Will is almost the complete opposite of Lyra. He is loyal, hardworking, and trustworthy. So it is somewhat amusing at times to see how these two characters learn to not only work together, but develop a kind of friendship. For a thrilling new read with mystery and adventure be sure to pick up “The Subtle Knife” by Philip Pullman.